Mindfulness and Awareness Aotearoa:
Mindfulness and Awareness Aotearoa (MAA) is professionally adapted from Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) according to international standards. MAA consists of one 2 hour evening class for 6 weeks, plus a one (weekend) half-day retreat. By attending the program and enjoying 30 minutes of guided practice each day (with your complementary mindfulness MP3/CD), you will emerge with the skills to utilise the power of mindfulness in everyday life.
As a wellness program suited for multicultural populations, Mindfulness and Awareness Aotearoa has been developed by Lila O’Farrell and a group Maori psychologists and cultural advisors. It is offered to hundreds of diverse participants each year in the primary health care environment and has yielded statistically significant reductions in participant levels of stress, anxiety, depression and somatisation (as per the Patient Health Questionaire psychometric measure).
Offered with cultural sensitivity and elegant simplicity, the MAA program is accessible to those for whom English is a second language, and has been evaluated positively by participants of diverse cultures and beliefs.
Mindfulness and Awareness Aotearoa integrates mindfulness meditation based practices with teachings from medical science, psychology and Maori models of holistic well-being.
Mindfulness and Awareness Aotearoa has assisted participants to:
- Reduce stress at home and work
- Respond wisely to life’s challenges
- Manage emotions such as anxiety, depression, anger and grief
- Cope with symptoms of chronic pain and illness
- Improve sleep and support immune system functioning
- Cultivate inner peace for body and mind
- Grow in self-awareness, self-compassion, and resilience
- Sharpen the ability to focus and concentrate
- Savour life with renewed purpose and passion